Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 6 p.m. EST

Send us an email


Q. Does information on my tax forms get reported to the IRS?
A. Yes, Domini reports this information to the IRS using the appropriate forms. Generally, Forms 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-B, 1099-R, and 1099-Q are reported on or before March 31, and Forms 5498 and 5498-ESA are reported on or before May 31.
Q. What do I do if my Tax ID Number printed on the form is incorrect?
A. To change your Tax ID number on file with us, please send us a completed Form W-9 with your correct Tax ID number. You can obtain Form W-9 at your local post office, online at or by calling us toll-free at 1-800-582-6757.
Q. What is a capital gain/loss?
A: A Capital Gain/Loss (Personal) results when an individual sells shares of a security, such as mutual fund shares, for a profit/loss and is the difference between an asset’s purchase price and selling price. A Capital Gain Distribution (Portfolio) results when a net profit is made by the mutual fund in buying and selling portfolio holdings during a given year. The IRS considers capital gains distributions from a mutual fund as a taxable activity, even if the shareholder reinvests the proceeds back in the fund.
Q. Will my conversion from a Traditional IRS to a Roth IRA affect my tax return?
A. Yes, converting from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA is reportable to the IRS. Please consult your tax advisor for assistance.
Q. Does Domini have a tax advisor or anyone who can help me fill out my return?
A. Our telephone call center personnel will be happy to help you with questions and information about your accounts; however, we cannot provide tax, legal or investment advice. For assistance in filling out your return, you should contact your professional advisor for such advice.
Q. Why doesn’t the income on my Form 1099-DIV match the amounts on my year-end or quarterly statements?
A. Occasionally, mutual funds determine that income previously distributed to shareholders as one type of income may need to be reclassified as a different category of income for tax reporting purposes. For example, qualified dividend income is not segregated from non-qualified dividend income on your periodic statements, but it is stated in box 1b on your 2015 Form 1099-DIV. Another example is if a tax-exempt dividend distribution must be reclassified as a taxable distribution.
Q. Where is my Cost Basis Statement?
A. Beginning January 1, 2012, reportable redemptions from your non-retirement account will display the appropriate gain/loss information categorized by section on Form 1099-B if certain data is available. This requirement was enacted as part of the Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008. Essentially, the data that had been displayed on a separate Cost Basis Statement is now reported on Form 1099-B. Depending on the information available, cost basis data may also be reported to the IRS.